Office HoursM 1:00-2:00 T 10:30-11:30 F 1:00-2:00
I completed my BA and MA at the University of Alberta and my PhD at the University of British Columbia on the building programme of Septimius Severus in Rome. During this time I also worked on various excavations in southern Italy with the University of Alberta. I have been teaching at UBC since 1996.
- the art, archaeology, and history of the Severan period
- the art and architecture of the Middle Republic
- women in antiquity
- the reception of the Severan emperors
- ‘Commodus (Marcus Aurelius Commodus Antoninus Augustus),’ The Encyclopedia of Ancient History (Wiley-Blackwell 2012)
- ‘Elagabalus (Marcus Aurelius Antoninus Augustus),’ The Encyclopedia of Ancient History (Wiley-Blackwell 2012)
- “Lucius Verus (Lucius Aurelius Verus Augustus),’ The Encyclopedia of Ancient History (Wiley-Blackwell 2012)
- ‘The Restoration of the Porticus Octaviae and Severan Imperial Policy,’ Greece & Rome 54 (2007): 1 – 17.
- ‘Julia Domna’s Building Patronage, Imperial Family Roles, and the Severan Revival of Moral Legislation,’ Historia-Zeitschrift Fur Alte Geschichte, 53 (2004): 61 – 72.
- ‘The Severan Building Programme and the Secular Games,’ Athenaeum-Studi Periodici di Letteratura e Storia dell’ Antichità, 90 (2002): 461 – 481.
- ‘The Septizodium Revisited: The Monument in its Historical and Urban Context,’ Latomus, 60 (2001): 653 – 670.